BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND YouTube Layouts »

Monday, April 2, 2012

Ed Reed Inducted into UM Hall

In what seems long overdue, former UM great Ed Reed has been inducted into the University of Miami's football Hall of Fame. 

Reed first donned orange and green in 1998, arriving in Coral Gables as a two-star recruit.  Hailing from Louisiana, Reed played all four years at Miami and is regarded as one of the greatest players to ever come through the U. 

Said Reed, "This was a doorway to the NFL is what I thought when I first came here.  The guys here help with that.  Guys like Edgerrin James and Bubba Franks, guys before me.  Those guys understood what it took to get to the NFL, but also what it took to be a collegiate student.  Being around leaders like that, Reggie Wayne was my roommate and you see the things that he has done.  Delvin Brown and Santana Moss were my suitemates and you see the things that they have done in the NFL."

During Reed's time at Miami, he was a two-time All-American (2000-01) and is the current record holder for interceptions--21 to be exact--as a Hurricane.  He helped guide the 2001 Hurricanes to a National Title win. 

“I think it was the class of guys that came in with me--Daryl Jones, Joaquin Gonzalez, Chris Campbell, Martin Bibla, Robert Williams, Najeh Davenport--I could name them all. We all came in together and really saw Miami at its worse. A lot of sanctions, we went 5-6, lost to Florida State 49-0, they put their first team back in and that was our first time at Florida State. We were like, ‘whoa, this is not why we came to Miami.’ it’s been a true Blessing to be around great people that helped me.”

In regards to returning to the Baltimore Ravens for another season, said Reed, "There's a lot of talk out there.  I'm not going to say that I'm fifty-fifty because I'm not. I want to play football. It's something that me and my team have been discussing the last couple of weeks. They do a great job of making sure I know the pros and cons of what's going on with my body and with the organization and where we're at in life right now. I plan on doing it, but depending, it could change."  

Next up for Reed, the eventual induction into the NFL Hall of Fame--no doubt about it.

Congratulations Ed.  Once a 'Cane, always a 'Cane.

0 comments: